- listen to radiolab on parasites
- Do STDs increase frequency of behavious that leads to transmission?
- Does the same apply at the gene level? Do HEs that relay on "sex" of the host, impact sex frequency? (see here)
Slides for today (and Wednesday :)) on Friday's LBA exercise, population genetics overview, role of HGT in evolution, types of selection.
Goals class 21
- Know what the terms positive, negative, and neutral selection mean and what frequent synonyms for these terms are.
- Know how to infer the type of selection using synonymous and non-synonymous substitutions.
- Know that one can infer the type of selection from the rate with which a gene goes to fixation.
- Be able to discuss the terms positive and diversifying selection
Goals class 20
- Know the difference between mutation and substitution.
- Understand why for neutral mutations the mutation rate equals the substitution rate.
- Understand that even with very large populations, most mutations that provide a small selective advantage go extinct due to genetic drift.
- Understand how population size impacts the time it takes for fixation of a neutral mutation