- Read Origin of Eukaryotes: Excerpt from "Molecular Evolution" by W-H. Li
- Explore the population genetic simulations at http://www.radford.edu/~rsheehy/Gen_flash/popgen/.
- Using the same fitness and frequency for the A1 and A2 allele, explore the impact of population size on drift?
- For a larger population size (1000) explore settings that reflect balancing selection.. (w11:.9; w12:1, w22=.95)
- What happpens, if you decrease the population size?
- Using a small initial frequency of allele 1 (e.g. 0.01 with a population of 50) and a large fitness advantage for this allele, perform simulations for 20 populations.
What does this suggest for the effectiveness of natural selection? Does natural selection acting on a single advantageous allele work better in a large population?
- What, if any, is the difference between a mutation and a substitution? (More than on answer is possible.)
- Read through take home exam #6
Review: How to get from sequences to trees?
Discussion homology, paralogy, orthology also out-paralogs // in-paralogs
Continue slides from Monday.